How to shop for dental insurance.
1. If you already have a dentist you want to stay with, ask them specifically what plans they accept.
2. Get a copy of what treatment your dentist thinks you might need in the next 12 months so you can compare coverage amounts between carriers.
3. If all you will need is your cleanings and maybe a filling find out what the cash prices are from your dentist. Some dentists will offer a discount for payments made in full at the time of service.
4. Take that information to your agent for them to search the provider network and treatment schedules of the plans your dentist accepts.
5. Don’t be surprised if it makes better financial sense to go with a discount program or no insurances at all. Dental insurance is often only a good value for people need several expensive treatments in a year.